Friday, December 31, 2010

The design work of AMANDA CONNER

Last year, the small deck we had on the back of our home collapsed 12 seconds to midnight with around 17 people on it, drinks in hand...but no one got hurt. The deck at that point was trashed and amanda went to work designing not only a new deck, but to extend it around the back of the house where the previous owners put sliding doors that went to nowhere. Amanda took a hundred things in mind, as she always did, and gave the builders her drawings , which they admired...and got right to work on. After two months, over 60 posts and two shipments of ipe wood, it was finally done. You will see sand around it, because its our next project we are saving up for. 

 We save up for each and every repair/revision we do on the house. Owning a home is a ton of work...take it from a guy that has an apartment for over 20 years, but its also "yours" and unlike my apartment, this house has more than one window and a back yard... something I keep reminding myself and will be reminding myself as I recieve the mortgage bills for the next 26 years of my life. 

Anyway, I posted thses because I am super proud of the job amanda and the builders did. Comments are welcome. 



The umbrella in the foreground used to be laying on the side of the house till I found baby mice in it, so now it stands full time. lol. 

That grapefruit has been eaten. 

9 comments:

  1. This is very nice, love the pictures. Hope the deck will be solid enough for this year. And for people drinking, hope they won't miss a step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, Amanda, and what a nice house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fine place to throw back a few cervezas, my friend. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect resting spot. Have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY to report, the deck did not cave in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Did she EVER do an amazing job on that deck (as did the builders). Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the house AND the deck. Very Wright-esque looking home. I'm a fan of architecture & thought about a career in it. Amanda gets my thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deck looks awesome. Like how Amanda kept the trees and built around them. Now, you can keep practicing your Jackie Chan-esque running up tree trunks to get to the second floor balcony! :)

    ReplyDelete